Let multiple users work on 1 pc is possible with several solutions:
- Multiseat: see HOWTO Multiseat X
- Remote: see diskless nodes, LTSP or use X via Xdmcp
- Non simultaneous (see below)
Non simultaneous (only one user at one time)
Logout and relogin as different user is really annoying, so instead we just start an additional instance of X for the next user and we won't need to logout. The drawback is however, simultaneous work is not possible.
- We can do this straight from commandline typing startx -- :1, startx -- :2 and so on.
- Instead we may use a login manager as gdm (GNOME) or kdm (KDE). See below for details...
- Qingy allows multiple instances of X and offers a graphical login
GNOME / gdm configuration for multiple sessions
I use gdm to start up 2 logins on vt7 and vt8. Just need to add an extra server in the [servers] section of the gdm config file
[servers] # These are the standard servers. You can add as many you want here # and they will always be started. Each line must start with a unique # number and that will be the display number of that server. Usually just # the 0 server is used. 0=Standard 1=Standard # add this to start the 2nd login
KDE / kdm for multiple sessions
# List of permanent displays. Displays with a hostname are foreign. A display # class may be specified separated by an underscore. # Default is ":0" StaticServers=:0 # List of on-demand displays. See StaticServers for syntax. # Default is "" ReserveServers=:1,:2,:3
StaticServers are available on startup, while ReserveServers are only available on request. To request a reserved server, use K-Menu -> Switch User -> Start New Session.
KDE and artsd
If you encounter troubles with artsd (sound) not working for multiple users logged in, upgrade to a recent version of KDE. Version 3.5 should work.
- http://blog.chris.tylers.info/index.php?/archives/14-Multiseat-X-Under-X11R6.97.0.html (detailed guide on multiseat)
- http://www.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiterminal/index-en.php (overview of all the different methods to multiseat)
- http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser/ (for historical purpose: detailed guide on a xfree hack to get it to work with 2 monitor/kb/mouse and 1 pc)
Created by NickStallman.net, Luxury Homes Australia
Real estate agents should list their apartments, townhouses and units in Australia.